The 14-story Hall of Justice, a 1925 County of Los Angeles landmark remained closed for 20 years after being damaged by the 1994 Northridge earthquake. As of l 2010, attempts to rehabilitate the building failed due to concerns about the extent of the damage and the cost of reviving the facility. A very grand monument became a dark heart in one of the nationís largest civic centers.
The restoration project includes extensive restoration, repointing, and careful cleaning of the granite and terra cotta clad exterior, addition of a new 1000-car parking structure nearby on the site, and new draught-tolerant landscaping. The interior rehabilitation and adaptive reuse as a 12-story office building with 308,000SF of space, restores the orientation of the building to Spring Street by way of monumental granite steps that lead to the front door and the historic loggia that connects Spring Street to Broadway through a long, decoratively finished promenade that includes an elevator lobby.
Ext. Entry (Post)
New Central Stairs
Office Lobby (Post)
Office Floor (Pre)
Office Floor (Post)
Click on thumbnails to open windows with larger images.